1. Wrap each piece of beef to set its shape, then chill overnight.
2. Sear the beef fillets in a hot pan with olive oil for 45 seconds.
3. Chop the mushrooms and fry in a pan with oil, thyme leaves and seasoning.
Continue to cook for 10 minutes.
4. Cut the pastry in half, roll each piece into a rectangle & chill.
5. Lay a sheet of cling film on a surface & place 4 slices of ham in the middle.
Spread half the duxelle evenly over the ham.
6. Season & place the fillets on top of the mushroom-covered ham. Using the cling film,
roll into a log. Chill for 30 minutes.
7. Brush the pastry with egg. Wrap the pastry around ham-wrapped fillet.
Trim the pastry and brush with egg wash; chill.
8. Heat oil in a pan; fry beef trimmings until brown on all sides.
Stir in shallots, peppercorns, bay and thyme. Cook for 5 minutes.
9. Pour in some wine and boil until almost completely reduced. Add the stock and bring to boil again.
Lower the heat and simmer for 1 hour. Strain the liquid and set aside.
10. Score the pastry lightly and brush with the egg wash
again, then bake at 200°C for 15-20 minutes until the pastry is golden brown.
Rest for 10 minutes before carving.
chef: Gordon Ramsay
2 x 400g beef fillets
500g mixture of wild mushrooms, cleaned
2 thyme sprigs & 1 bay leaf
500g puff pastry
8 slices of Parma ham
2 egg yolks
Sea salt and black pepper
2 tbsp olive oil
200g beef trimmings
4 large shallots, peeled and sliced
Splash of red wine vinegar
1 x 750ml bottle red wine
750ml beef stock
Prep: 1 hour
Cook: 30 mins
Total: 1 hour 30 mins
Servings Per Recipe: 4
Dietary Fiber: 10g
Saturated Fat: 1.3g